Monday, April 4, 2011

Morning Workouts

I love swimming in the morning. The pool opens early and it is not crowded (who wants to share a lane?). I was heading to the gym at least 3 mornings a week. Then I read this Active Post listing 5 reasons to work out in the morning, which confirmed why I wake up at 5 in the morning and head to the gym. I read a few more posts about the benefit of working out in the mornings:

- You WILL actually DO IT and do it more often because it is easier to start a routine. Afternoon and evening workouts get bumped for happy hours and dinners with friends.

- The feeling of ACCOMPLISHMENT from completing a workout will be with you for the entire day. You’ll have the energy from the workout and the motivation because you can check one thing off your to do list.

- You will EAT BETTER; we make better choices throughout the entire day after we have burned several hundred calories.


Getting the energy to work out in the morning is not easy, and I generally like mornings. Here are a few tips for those who need motivation in the morning.

- Start on a Monday. For me, Monday breaks the normal weekend routine and is the start of my work week. Accomplishing the first workout gives me the inspiration to wake up on Tuesday (Plus, there is no "I'll do it tomorrow excuse").

- Wake up at the same time each morning. Setting the alarm for the same time is the perfect way to create a workout habit. It will become easier and easier, until you will begin to wake up before your alarm.

- Pack your bag the night before. Set out your work-out clothes including socks and your headband. Pack the bag with everything you need: water bottle, towel, shower stuff (& goggles and swim cap for me). Preparing makes the morning routine run a a little smoother and the time for the alarm be a little later.

- Do something you LOVE! Especially in the beginning, your morning workout should be one that you enjoy. That’s why I swim – It is my absolute favorite thing to do. It’s a whole body workout that relaxes me, yet I feel stronger when I am done. If you like running, wake up and run.

- Don’t give up. You aren’t going to get there every morning and that is ok. I miss a workouts, but I get up the next day and try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment