Thursday, January 13, 2011

Great Start... Minor Setbacks.

My New Year’s Resolution was 2011 km in the year 2011. I was very excited to get started. I signed up for a 5k Resolution Run and even I made a excel spreadsheet to track my progress. On New Year’s Day, I woke up to walk the dog, and then headed downtown to the park for the 5k. I felt confident that I could run most of the 5k, even though I am slowly rehabbing a foot injury. It was a beautiful 40 degrees, everyone was amazingly friendly and I was wearing my ankle brace.

The first mile was easy – small rolling hills. I had a time under 12 minutes. Just after mile 1, there was a hill. The water at the top was motivation to keep running. Turning the corner, just to see another hill that was both bigger and steeper caught me off guard. I was motivated; I kept pushing. I had to walk a little because my foot began to hurt and I got a cramp in my back. I finished in 36 minutes and 28 seconds. Not my best 5k time, but a great time to keep trying to beat through the rest of the year.

The beginning of the year started off with a bang – a little over 9 km on the first day. I haven’t quite kept up that pace, but I was still on track through the weekend. The first two weeks were tough, the cold and a little snow made it difficult to bike. With the foot issue at the run, I have gone back to the doctor and I am beginning physically therapy for my foot. But, I still feel like I can complete this goal. When the weather warms up and the days are longer, I hope the doctor will clear me to run again and it will be easier for long bike rides.

Current km count = 40km.

No comments:

Post a Comment