Monday, December 27, 2010

Fear of commitment...

I signed up for the 2011 Zooma 10k. I really want to be able to run the whole thing this year. I did the same beautiful race through downtown Annapolis last year - although not that successfully.

Of course in 2009, I signed up about 4 months before the race, I was very excited, hoping that the 6.2-mile distance would be enough to encourage me to train. I began walking/running a couple times a week. I bought new shoes and talked about the race so much, my mother and sister also signed up. It did not take long for the novelty (and therefore the training) to wear off.

Once again, I woke up early one morning facing a very long run for which I was not prepared. With the support of my family and a fancy technique they call "9 and 1" (where we run for 9 minutes and then walk for 1 full minute), we all finished the race in 1hr and 22.00min. They could have finished much faster than I could, but instead they walked with me for a good portion of mile 5.

Are you noticing a pattern here? Everything seems like a good idea, when you have plenty of days to train. Yet, for some reason, I have the worst trouble committing to and completing the training. I suppose that most blogs start so that the writer can hold himself or herself accountable.

I have already picked a few events that I want to do in 2011, including this 10k. Yet, I have not been to the gym in over 2 months. I am using a foot injury as justification for my laziness – even though the doctor cleared me to swim and bike.

It's almost like a fear of commitment - if I actually commit to the training - then I no longer have an excuse when I fail. Hopefully, I can make the commitment to completing this blog and therefore completing my training.

No comments:

Post a Comment